Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mom, it's okay.... I am just smarter than you!

Last nite.

“Whatcha doing Dev?” I asked him as he sat there with pen and paper in hand.   “Homework” (his one word replies are becoming an art form)

“What class?” I ask.  He looks like at me as if I am disturbing him and replies “Algebra”.  Now if I were a smart woman I may have stopped there satisfied that he was doing his homework but no, I continue determined to be an involved parent.  “You need any help?”  I ask him. 

The long sigh of annoyance fills the room, he puts his pencil down and looks me straight in the eye “Mom, no offense but you can’t help me with this stuff, it’s very complicated”.

I gasp in disbelief that he could say such a thing.  “Devon! I will have you know that I took Algebra and passed in high school AND I have a college degree so I am sure I can help you with your little homework assignment.” Humph… the audacity!

“Fine!” He gives in but is clearly aggravated by the disturbance.  He calls out what I have determined must be alien coding or a language from a third world country “What is:  | 3x - 2 | = 8 and | x + 1 | = 1”

A moment (let’s be honest more like five moments of silence) goes by then he says “Mom, you look confused.” 

“No Devon, I am just trying to visualize the question! 

Panic begins to take over as I realize I can in no way, shape or form solve this problem.

“You don’t understand it do you?” he says.  After a few more awkward moments of silence I admit defeat… “No” I mumble feeling embarrassed and ashamed.

Sensing my shame and humiliation he says “Mom, its okay.   I am just smarter than you but it’s nothing to be ashamed of.  I still need you… and right now I need you to go fix me a bowl of ice cream please so I can finish my homework…”

But I got the last laugh my friends… I didn’t make him that bowl of ice cream!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment